Saturday, August 12, 2006

Vermonty Python

Have any of you ever had the Vermonty Python flavor of Ben and Jerry's ice cream? I had the joy of finding a pint of this spectacular ice cream in Dalton, Massachusetts earlier this week. Megan and I have been anticipating our crossover into Vermont for quite some time, so it was only fitting that I buy and eat all of the Vermonty Python in one sitting! Delicious. I highly recommend it for any of you Ben and Jerry lovers out there.

And here I am today in Manchester, Vermont enjoying the much cooler temperatures of this glorious state! Here is something crazy -- we have hiked over 1600 miles, and only have just over 500 miles to go before reaching our destination! Chew on that a moment. Isn't that insane, I really can't even comprehend it all. Sometimes I stop mid-stride and look at Megan and say, "who does this?" "Who walks through 14 states, 2100 miles?" Thats just a bunch of foolery if you ask me. But here we are taking one step at a time...sometimes two steps at a time when I trip on a root or a rock.

A few days ago Megan and I enjoyed an insatiable sunset atop Mt. Greylock (highest point in Massachusetts). We also, simultaneously, watched the full moon rise. I can't really put it in words, I couldn't then, and I can't now. But it was like nothing I've ever experienced in my life. What a moment in life. I could go for a few more of those, please! I would have to vote that one of my favorite memories on the trail so far.

We are planning to retire Vermont by Friday (August 18). Take a zero day in Hannover, NH. And begin mentally preparing ourselves for the beloved "white mountains" of New Hampshire. Of course when I say, mentally prepare, I totally mean pig out at a buffet or two, sleep in real beds, and eat lots of ice cream and candy. We've been hearing about the "Presidentials", since Springer Mountain and are getting stoked about the treachery of it all! Vermont is doing a good little number on us to prepare our climbing legs for those hairy "Whites" (and no, Lana, I'm not talking about my legs as being hairy whites, although they are).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always enjoy your updates.Having hiked some limited amounts in the Smokies I can imagine the trip you are enjoying/enduring.Would like to hear about some of the people you've met. Oldest, youngest, couples or just anyone you would like to tell us about. Do you drink champagne at the end of the trail or Ben & Jerrys? Jim

Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. Gottschalk.
Melissa Hartsel sent me this link and I pretty much freaked out. I think that what you're doing is really awesome and takes a lot of strength. I am going to Winthrop University...leaving on Friday the 18th. I'm going to be a special ed. teacher. Well, good luck with the rest of the hike.

Jennifer Deese

Anonymous said...

HEY MS. GOTTSCHALK!
I found this online, and I just want to say that it's so awesome that you're doing this! You are such a strong and inspiring person. Congratulations!

Melissa Hartsell

Brooks said...

The image of your hairy legs is way too much! Would you like me to send you a razor? lol ;)

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Dexter said...

Oh my goodness, wasn't Vermonty Python THE BEST?! If I could eat a pint a day for the rest of my life, i would die very happy...