Saturday, August 19, 2006

Considerate Moose

Over the last 150 miles, Megan and I have been coming across all sorts of things that indicate that moose are on the move. We've noticed "moose" literature posted in the shelters and other helpful sites. We've spotted moose tracks/prints in the thick black mud of Massachusetts and Vermont. And we've even stepped over and around numerous piles of moose scat (poo). This being the case, I came across a poem written by a previous thru-hiker in one of the shelter journals the other day. I thought I might share it with you since it tickled me to death!

Trail Haiku

Considerate Moose,
You poop on the side of the trail
Not in the middle.

Author: Rock Chalk

I can hear you laughing. Isn't that great! I wish I remembered the rules of Haiku Poetry, because I believe I might be able to whip up some poetry myself if only I could recall how Haiku is written.

11 comments:

Brooks said...

A Haiku is 3 lines with the first line consisting of 5 syllables, the second with 7 syllables, and the third with 5 syllables. (so technically the Moose Poo Hiaku [hey that ryhmes] is not really a Haiku - too many syllables in the second line, but we can let it slide cause it is funny) I look forward to your Trail Haiku...

Come long trail hiker.
Never forget the mountains.
Nor the moose poopers.

Evan said...

Walking on raw meat.
Feet that flatten in worn boots.
September now looms.

Anonymous said...

Haiku rules...

5 syllables
7 syllables
5 syllables

Thats pretty much it :-)


You're almost there! Thats so awesome and I'm so jealous! Keep on truckin!

Section Hiker Chloe

Leslie said...

I love how all of the Haiku responders where guys. You rock! Thanks for the help. My creativity will begin to flow now that I am aware of how to haiku.

Anonymous said...

Pooping in the woods.
Utilizing trees for TP
Itch Poison ivy

Brooks said...

Vermonty python
Tastes so good on a long day.
Moose tracks tastes better.

Anonymous said...

Open house tonight
The Students come in vast throngs
We wish you were here

Anonymous said...

Hey Leslie-

I think maybe you tried to call me on my cell tonight. Sorry I didn't have it with me. We were visiting with Donna and Ed. They said tell you hello. I spoke with my next door neighbor- Tevin tonight he's starting 8th grade at JNFries. I told him he really missed a great 8th grade science teacher. He was excited to hear about your adventure and was really hoping you were coming back to teach....I wish I could have talked to you. You're almost done ...I can't believe it. If you get a chance try calling me again. Tell Megan hello... Lots of Love and prayers...
Tommy and Tracy

Anonymous said...

Les,
Merilee and i just hiked part of the AT in teh smokeys. we checked the shelter registries for you and Megan...but you weren't in them :(
it rained a lot on us too. i guess that's just part of the Smokeys. Someday (when you're off the trail) Merilee or i will have to tell you about our incredible shelter experience!

happy hiking!
Mel

Anonymous said...

fungal nail disease
need ointment so so badly
stinky feet stink bad

Anonymous said...

Blisters on feeties
Sure isn't too darned sweety
Epsom Salts make it good.