Monday, April 10, 2006

65 Miles From Springer

Hello all! Megan and I left from Springer Mountain a week ago Monday. We have made it to our first trail town, Hiawassee, Georgia. We are 10 miles from the North Carolina border. Tomorrow we will pass out of the first of 14 states in our journey.

Life on the trail has been pretty intense so far. Within the first week I had to replace my well-worn boots. I hadn't planned on getting new boots until Virginia, but was forced to do it, when the back of my ankles were being rubbed raw on the steep descents. Luckily, at mile 30 there is an outfitters store called the Walasi-Yi Center, that fitted me for some new boots and we've been trucking ever since. As of today, I've hiked over 30 miles in the new boots and haven't had a blister yet!

The weather has been crazy hot during the day. No leaves on the trees, so I have quite the farmer tan (or sunburn). My nose and ears are blistered and peeling. For those of you who suggested I take sunscreen, you were right. I am a fool! In the seven days of our journey all but one have been sunny and hot. By mid morning we are wearing shorts and t-shirts for the remainder of the daylight hours. But as soon as the sun goes down it gets downright cold. Four of the six nights Megan and I have slept in the tarptent and have been warm enough in our sleeping bags and liners. In fact, I haven't even worn all of my clothes that I expected to in order to stay warm at night. That is a pleasant surprise! I'm sure we will run into some cold weather here pretty soon, but until then I am enjoying the warm days and cool nights.

The trees are leafless (at least most of them), but I see the buds starting to form. A few flowering trees have started to blossom, which provides a nice contrast to the brown forest floor and bare trees. There are wildflowers popping up here and there and sometimes a clump of grass near the trail. But other than that, all is pretty brown. I am enjoying the leafless trees, because it allows for a much greater view of the mountains beyond. I've never seen better overviews! Not too much in terms of wildlife. I've seen a few salamanders as I filter water from springs and streams, lots of songbirds, some hawks, chipmunks, a snail or two and that is about it so far.

My achilles tendon on my right foot has been swollen and very painful the last three days. It has slowed me down considerably as I hike throughout the day. Hopefully this partial day of rest in Hiawassee will help it get on the road to recovery.

Love and miss you all!

4 comments:

Evan said...

I am so thankful that God has blessed your trip with great weather so far! We hope the achilles tendon quits griping now that the new boots are on. We have been thinking about you and Megan every day and our small group from church asked God to protect you both and to enhance your journey. Much love,


Evan and Emily

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the email and the post! It's so much fun to be able to follow along with you guys on my huge map in the basement - and also on a map of the complete trail I found online. I looked at how far you two have gone today, and it was mind-boggling. I've walked to and from school three times this week - that's it! Only about 8 miles. Hm...

Looking at the trail, it seems never-ending, but at the rate you're going, you guys will be pounding it out quicker than expected. That's awesome!

Love you!

The Lumberjack said...

Hello from a stranger...

I'm The Lumberjack & I read an article about your trip in the paper (you both have ties to IN). I moved to WV from IN for all the hiking/camping & I've always been fascinated with the A.T. It is neat to read about your journey on the trail.

It is refreshing to hear about someone who's faith is evident in their life. Though we may not meet on the trail of life, I know we'll meet up in heaven. May God bless you & give you strength.

How Deep the Father's Love (old hymn)
How deep the Father's love for us
how vast beyond all measure
that he should give his only Son
to make a wretch his treasure
How great the pain of searing loss
the Father turns his face away
as wounds which mar the chosen one
bring many sons to glory

Behold the man upon a cross
my sin upon his shoulders
ashamed i hear my mocking voice
call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held him there
until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
no gifts, no powers, no wisdom
but I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward?
i cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. Gottschalk, I just wanted to say that I hope that both your sunburn and ankle get better. Hopefully your new boots won't give you any trouble and your ankle can heal. Also I hope the weather stays good for you and your hiking partner. Good luck on the next leg of your hike.

~Colleen~