Monday, March 20, 2006

2 Weeks and Counting

My life in Concord, North Carolina already seems like someone else's story. I began experiencing this strange disconnect from the reality of my occupation and life situation there, starting in February. Most of the pertinent planning for the A.T. journey went into effect at the end of January and into February, consuming my every thought and feeling. Though I still had a few months to live in N.C., I quickly began to paint myself into a corner emotionally. With the start date looming closer at each passing day, my mind was absorbed with images of trail life, characters I would meet along the way, and situations I might face on any given day. And so....I had no idea what I would feel as I drove out of the state for the last time.

I'll be honest, it was hard driving out of North Carolina a week ago, knowing that the next time I will be passing through the Tarheel state will be on foot, with a 30 lb pack on my back, possibly in the pouring rain, or maybe as the trees are budding and the flowers are blooming. My life will never be the same. When I come back to North Carolina my body, my soul, my spirit will be renewed and conditioned through six months of relying only on my God and my knowledge of survival, to endure, with all of the other creatures of this earth, the beauty and the fury of nature. I will be a different person, someone with a new story to tell, a new life to live.

God promises to bless his people. I believe! Not only will I be a changed person upon my return to North Carolina, I have already been changed by the folks that live there. The abundant outpouring of encouragement and support from my coworkers and students rendered me speechless at best, and dumbfounded at worst. I have never witnessed, let alone personally experienced, the incredible power of God's love, like I did these past few months at J.N. Fries Middle School. I know this life journey of mine is God's purpose for me at this moment in time. The support and encouragement from friends, family, and even strangers is proof of an active living God. Thank you for being a part of God's plan for my life. I am two weeks from my start date, counting down the days and making the days count.

4 comments:

bekadean said...

I know I speak for any and all Carolinians who know you when I say that my life is blessed by having you in it. I am truly encouraged and challenged by your faith and trust in our God. I look forward to hearing the new story your life will tell and even more so to seeing just how God is going to use your life. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Ms. G I miss you so much. It seems really weir dhaving Mrs. Ray teaching us and not youm, but it great all the same. Good luck on your journey to you and your hiking partner!

~Colleen~

Anonymous said...

He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores me soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name sake. Psalm 23:2-3. I already know that God is preparing His creation to be a place of comfort, rest, and peace for you. I love you. See you soon sis!

Leslie said...

J'zmin, I'm so stoked that you commented on the blog. Thanks for checking up with me.