Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Practice Hike in South Carolina



I spent the weekend in South Carolina hiking in three state parks. I had a partially filled pack (about 25 lbs, if I had to estimate). The weather was mostly sunny and quite windy on Saturday. Beka and I enjoyed trying out the homemade Pepsi Can Stove that runs on denatured alcohol. It leaked. But we did manage to heat up some mac and cheese and some nasty vegetable soup. The soup had some mystery vegies in it. I did eventually identify zucchini skin as one of the hidden vegetables. Gross!

We were able to catch some breathtaking views of Lake Jocassee, Lake Keowee, and Raven Cliff Falls. I'll be posting pictures of these in the next few days. At one point on the Dismal Trail in Caesar's Head State Park, we had to cross a mountain stream by way of two cables stretched from tree to tree over the bubbling brook! It was insane, and awesome!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! i'm going to miss you while your gone. I hope your hike goes good. I will be praying for you so you will have a safe hike. You have been a wonderful teacher and i have learned alot. I will be checking your website to look at your pictures and seeing how your trip is going. i hope you enjoy your hike. Love you and im going to miss you.

Nikki