Monday, September 11, 2006

So Close to Home!

Maine, Maine, Maine! Been moving through Maine at lightning speed. First it was to outrun the dreaded rains from Hurricane Ernesto (or was it a tropical storm?). Now it is because we are so close to Mt. Katahdin, we can smell it. Maybe we can't really smell the mountain, but there are some changes in the air. Fall has arrived. The trees first started changing a few days ago, and now each day the colors are more vibrant. The panoramic views from Saddleback Mt and Horn Mt have been quite rewarding. Maine is such a great place to hike with all of its ponds and bogs. If you can get past the part where you have to hop through and around all of the mud holes, it is just downright beautiful. Saw our first moose from across a lake. Not much of a sighting. Looked pretty much like a brown dot from afar. Still waiting for the "close encounter". Still scrambling over and under rocks and boulders. I've busted a spot on my right knee three times in the past three days. Not going to heal if I keep banging it around. It's brutal some days! The last rainshowers brought with it a cold front. The days have been beautiful, crisp, cool. The nights are getting down in the 30s already. Brrrrr.

We have arrived at Stratton, ME. Staying in a hostel at the Stratton Motel. Free internet, and long distance phone calls. Hard to beat, right? Especially since my phone card is running on fumes right now.

Our planned summit date of Mt. Katahdin is September 24th. That is if everything goes as planned (which rarely it ever does out here). We will leave a two or three day window of time open in case the weather delays our summit. We are definitely feeling the pull of the big mountain at this point in our journey. From some of the nearby mountain summits we can catch tiny glimpses of our final destination. We are almost home.

Next stop - Monson, ME (September 16/17)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh wow........Leslie, I wish I could meet you in Maine as well. Will there be video and pictures of you walking up to the spot "of end"? That would be great to see. I am so happy for you and I feel the excitement too. Congratulations x 10. What will you do when you are done...is there recovery time involved in something of this magnitude? ALright...I hope to hear more stories when you have more time online and hopefully more pictures. To Mrs. Gottschalk: I know you are proud of Leslie...only a mother would end a blog by saying "Watch that knee"...that was cute. Hope to hear more...Jaime Swango

Anonymous said...

Your description and excitement at nearing "home" brings tears to my eyes. Keep writing. Miss C.

Anonymous said...

Wow - to know you are less than 2 weeks away from finishing the entire AT is amazing! Great job and enjoy the final stretch!

Anonymous said...

Man, when you guys finish, we are all gonna get smashed to celebrate! Whoop whoop!

Anonymous said...

great Science quetion for you.

Why arnt the trees changing here?

Alaina said...

Thinking of you Leslie as you guys are so close to the end! Can't wait to see you when you get back -actually you'll probably beat us back but we'll see you sometime! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Time can never mend
the careless whispers of a good friend
To the heart and mind, ignorance is kind
There's no comfort in the truth
Pain is all you find
Should've known better
I feel so unsure
as I take you hand
and lead you to the dance floor
As the music dies, something in your eyes
calls to mind the silver screen
and all its sad good-byes
I'm never gonna dance again
Guilty feet have got no rhythm
Though it's easy to pretend
I know you're not a fool
Should've known better than to cheat a friend
and waste the chance that I've been given
So I'm never gonna dance again
the way I danced with you
Time can never mend
the careless whispers of a good friend
To the heart and mind, ignorance is kind
There's no comfort in the truth
Pain is all you find
I'm never gonna dance again
Guilty feet have got no rhythm
Though it's easy to pretend
I know you're not a fool
Should've known better than to cheat a friend
and waste the chance that I've been given
So I'm never gonna dance again
the way I danced with you
Never without you love
Tonight the music seems so loud
I wish that we could lose this crowd
Maybe it's better this way
We'd hurt each other with
the things we'd want to say
We could have been so good together
We could have lived this dance forever
But noone's gonna dance with me
Please stay
And I'm never gonna dance again
Guilty feet have got no rhythm
Though it's easy to pretend
I know you're not a fool
Should've known better than to cheat a friend
and waste the chance that I've been given
So I'm never gonna dance again
the way I danced with you
(Now that you're gone) Now that you're gone
(Now that you're gone) What I did so wrong
that you had to leave me alone

Kristine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kristine said...

'Fulton County Reads' met last night to discuss "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. I look forward to seeing you at our next meeting in October.

You are a celebrity here in Rochester. We are proud of you!

You're almost home! Stay safe!

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
Michigan Celibrates as you make it home! Well actually it is just Alisha, Ashton and Abby that you hear. Keep safe!
Love,
Ivanna

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
Congratulations!!!
Jack and I have been following your progress with much interest. We drove to see our daughter in Norfolk VA and drove under a cement walk overpass of the trail. Looking at those mountains, it is mind-boggling to know that you have been on top of them for 2000+ miles. Unbelieveable!!!! What an accomplishment.
I've been attending the Fulton Co reads which is discussing "A Walk in the Woods." Your story will be even better than Bryson's--after all, we know you!!! Will really enjoy the final discussion when you will be there.
Again, congratulations. Now you will have to choose another item on your "Things To Do" list!
Sandy & Jack Sawyer

Anonymous said...

Terrific Leslie!
The AT....
Read about it and would like to see parts of it someday...
What's the next adventure to be...
DSD
"Summit Stones & Adventure Musings By DSD" Blogger.com