Sunday, July 02, 2006

Living Life One Step at a Time: Most Recent Musings

McAfee Knob: I am small, aren't I? Maybe the world doesn't really revolve around me. A little dose of humility never hurts anyone.

Washing my hair in the river. Quite limber, aren't I?

Maybe I should join the circus.


Eastern Box Turtles are still exciting discoveries even at my "old" age.

Monthly Musings:

I've learned so much about myself on this journey. I have a hard time putting words to many of the ways that I am changing and growing. Before I started the A.T. I wouldn't have considered myself an emotional person. I've always had a good handle on my emotional expression. I'm a logical thinker. A realist. Someone who doesn't get overly excited about much and never overly upset about anything. However, recently I am discovering part of me that I have never known existed. The constant struggle of everyday life mixed with the awe and beauty of my surroundings make for a confusing array of emotions that I am having a hard time dealing with at times. I am frequently experiencing feelings of elation (mostly dealing with food, shelter, and vistas), and feelings of self-pity and sorrow (most commonly brought on by physical pain).

It is when I strip away all of the "extras", the materialism, in my life that I can begin to know and acknowledge my true self. I'm beginning to realize that the "stuff" in our world, the materialism that we surround ourselves with, has a way of hiding who we really are. We become trapped in society's ever changing standards, seeking to be accepted by the mainstream, as if that is our one life goal. But it is a futile attempt, we will never make it because the standard is continually moving farther and farther down the road, down the road we generally choose to follow.

I'm fortunate to have an opportunity to escape the stressors of normal life and dive head first into an environment of "simplistic living". I knew coming into this experience I would change. I am changing in ways I never thought possible. My hope is that I continue to become more and more aware of who I am as a person, in order to rid my life of the worldly clutter that ceaselessly works to corrode my mind and soul. Sometimes it is scary taking the road less traveled, but I believe the benefits will far outway any negative aspects of this six month journey.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

McAfee Knob is absolutely georgious...I just have to see more pics from this place...somehow...someday....

Jaime

Anonymous said...

Try that rock on some booger sugar!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. G,
After spending about 3 and a 1/2 weeks at the beach and coming to see your page. I feel bad about the way I was living. But, McAfee Knob is a great place. That is where I took my part of a three mile hike on the trail. Since the summer though I have been hiking more. I got this awesome shirt the other day (you will have to get one now) it sayes "Hike Faster, I hear Banjo music". It is a really neat shirt. They have them in most hike shops. Well have a great time on the trail. God Bless

Kristine said...

Hey Leslie,

I caught you on WROI this morning, great job girl!

I love your thoughts on living the simply life. You express yourself beautifully! Thanks for the food for thought.

Anonymous said...

I just love what you are writing and doing with 'musings...'
There is such a closeness that we often don't understand between what is 'outthere', and what is 'inhere'...
Grey Wolf Said: "You will not find your reasons in these mountains or on those lakes; what you find out there you had within you all along. These places are just a trail towards those lands inside of you that have yet to be travelled."
I am not sure if I totally agree, but I am musing again about it...
Wish I could place a 'Stone' where you might discover it...
DSD
"Summit-Stones" by DSD
Blogger.com

Anonymous said...

Just visited again to see what new musings there may be...
DSD
"Summit Stone & Adventure Musings" by DSD
Blogger.com