Wednesday, May 03, 2006

How I Categorize A.T. Thru-Hikers

I've been interested in the people with whom I am journeying toward Katahdin with. I've met people of varying age, culture, background, and personality. And as I am gaining a better understanding of the typical "thru-hiker", I've come up with a way to categorize the hikers into different sects according to their knowledge of and their experiences with backpacking. As a teacher, I am always asked to enhance learning by tying into what my students already know.

So here I go: Backpackers can be grouped into four basic groups according to knowledge and experience. The first type of backpacker that we run into is the backpacker that we will put into the group known as the "high school graduate". This backpacker has read much about backpacking and in fact knows quite a few statistics about the Appalachian Trail itself, including proper gear that should be carried. The "high school graduate" backpacker, however, has limited experience with actually backpacking. They may have gone on some family camping trips as a child, or done quite a few day hikes, but the whole idea of long distance backpacking is a whole new experience. Initially, this hiker is enthusiastic and jolly, but upon days of constant rain and gloom will fairly easily decide home would be a better place to spend the time.

The second type of backpacker fits into the group that would be the "bachelors degree holders". This group of backpackers have studied and learned about the Appalachian Trail and backpacking in general for a few years. They are familiar with the A.T. jargon and have a few friends that have either hiked sections of the A.T. or thru-hiked it at one time or another. The bachelors degree holders also have a much more extensive hiking background. They have section hiked the A.T., completed small scale backpacking trips (weekend to week long), and have had to rely on themselves to survive in the outdoors on numerous occasions. These individuals have a better idea of what the trail will hold in terms of the joys and the trials. (side note: Megan and I fall into this category).

The third category of backpackers is the "master degree holders". This backpacker is very knowledgeable about the Applachian Trail because they have thru-hiked the trail previously. They know the trail community and throw around jargon and trail names like everyone should know what is going on. They are fully confident in their ability to survive, and should be, based on their experience. The masters are well known in the trail community and are not shy about telling the high school graduates and the bachelors what gear they should be carrying and why. To some, the masters can be overwhelming in their self-confident (tipping on arrogant) nature, based on their constant chatter of what is coming up over the next mountain, where you should stay in the next town, and what is the right or wrong way to hike the A.T.

And lastly we have the category of hikers that I like to refer to as the "doctoral degree holders". The doctorates are the individuals out here who have not only thru-hiked the A.T. previously, but they have also thru-hiked one or two of our country's long distance hiking trails - the Pacific Crest Trail, or the Continental Divide Trail (or both). These backpackers are the 'gods' of the trail, they carry the best and most expensive gear (usually), they have the most relevant knowledge to share, and the rest of us are in awe of their accomplishments. They are inspirations to the hiking community. The individuals who have hiked all three of our nations long distance trails are known as "triple crowners". I have only met one of these individuals, but he is known up and down this trail in legendary status.

There you have it, my synopsis on the division of Appalachian Trail thru-hikers based on their knowledge and experience. I've been rolling this around in my head for a month and finally put the categories together just the other day. That was definitely a full day's work. Or was it a full month's work? Whew! Whatever it was, I'm tired!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I was to be categorized, it would be as a savant of the trail. I not only speak the trail, I am the trail. I don't fail. Not even for hail. I'll never bail. I don't move like a snail. I blow through like a gail. I am not fat like a whale. When not hiking I like to sail.

Brooks said...

Is he a chippendale?


Leslie... you should write a book! Very good analogy. Have you met any Pre-school graduates? (There has to be some bumbling idiots out there. I see them all the time out on the mtn bike trails)

Anonymous said...

Les, this is truly a brilliant thought! I love it. And, as you well know, categorizing things is also a past-time of mine; I do it in my sleep sometimes.

I'm sure you are hoping to one day bear the title of a Doctoral Degree hiker - I don't imagine that you'll stop here. Why not do the Pacific Crest Trail next? I have a friend from California who has done a portion of that and says it's phenomenal.

If you try hard enough, you too can be a god of the trail, a triple crowner, a legend in your own right.

Glad to hear from you last night.

Anonymous said...

I done ran all the way accross the country. Does that make me an astronaut hiker?

Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. G,
Glad to know ur doing okay! Camp T-bird was awesome!! I really didnt want to go but im glad i went. We played a ton of pranks on Mr. Lanes cabin.(thought you might want to know). Mr. Morrison, Mr. Bookhart, and Mr. Fox's cabins all teamed up aginst Lane. We threw shampoo bombs, tepeed, and we threw water. Well thought you might like to know what happened at T-bird. I learned a ton of stuff.(the front of a canoe is called a bow) Well talk to u l8er!

Brooks said...

You will have to check out the North Country Trail - it stretches from NY, thru OH, up through MI (passes through Petoskey), thru WI and MN and into ND. I want to ride the Continental Divide...

EmilyAnne said...

Leslie, I can't believe I missed your call! I am ususally home. Try again sometime. Sorry! You have a package coming to Damascus so hopefully you'll get it on time.

Leslie said...

I made it to Damascus - May 12th (friday). Probably heading out tomorrow. We will be coming back to Damascus for the "Trail Days" festival next weekend. Hopefully can hitch a ride from where we are back to town and vice versa after the festival is over. So if I don't get the package the first time, I'll get it the second time.